Pages

Thursday, April 11, 2013

On hallowed ground

On Monday our family farewelled a dear friend and teacher who has had a significant influence over our family for the last four years and even more influence over our local community.

Glennis was a teacher at our kids preschool.  But she was more than that.  She was a wise counsellor.  Gentle advice giver.  A woman of strong faith and compassion.  She had an awesome sense of humour.  She loved the children in her care.  She adored her own children and grandchildren.

At her funeral we heard beautiful tributes from her children, her friends and her minister.  Both he and another minister visited her regularly over the last few months.  They talked about the prayer, the sharing of communion, the talking and laughter.

And they talked about how it was like standing at the door of heaven.  During these times of prayer and communion, there was a crack between heaven and earth opening up and a divine presence was there.

For me, through the sadness of a passing of someone I love, it gave me such comfort and hope.  I've never had the privilege of being with someone when they die.  I've visited people near the end, I've prayed with them and said goodbye, but I've never been present as that person leaves the earth and continues their journey with God in heaven.  It was a beautiful picture of what happens when we die.  And how the love of friends and family allows everyone to be drawn in and experience some of the divine touch that is present in that hallowed ground between life and death.

It is a challenge too.  A challenge that I need to continue seeking God, and in that experience the moulding and purifying that comes from intimacy with Jesus.  It is a challenge to reflect on my own way of living and try to make choices that uphold love, grace and hope.  And a challenge to parent my children with the same energy, hope and grace that Glennis showed.  In her life, she demonstrated what it means to live like Jesus and in her death she showed us how to die with grace and hope as she walked through that door, on that hallowed ground, to her Saviour and Lord.

I would say Rest in Peace Glennis, and while I know you will be experiencing the peace that comes when earthly life is completed and the striving has finished, I think also you'll be having a bit of a party.  Maybe there is wine in heaven, I don't know, but I know that you are safe, happy and loved with God, your husband and those gone before, waiting with hope for those you loved on earth to follow.

There is a song called "At the Cross" from Hillsong this is the final verse

"And as the earth fades
Falls from my eyes
And you stand before me
I know you love me
I know you love me"

Standing on the hallowed ground between life and death.  What a blessing and sacrifice.

No comments: